Sunday, August 31, 2008

The coming of students.

Well. It has begun. The coming of students. It happens every fall. Every fall we have the influx of freshmen, and with freshmen come parents and siblings and stuff beyond all power to comprehend. With freshmen comes more cars than our poor little parking lot can handle and the inability to drive in our only somewhat convoluted parking lot.
Before the freshmen even get here the craziness starts with insane set ups by the most fantastic greatest Conference Services crew (my second, third or fourth job, depending on how you count). This year it was a skeleton crew as we had two off playing soccer, three FYE leaders, an ASBSU rep, one off to the mail-room and a vacationer. That means that we set the gym the first couple of times last week with five people. We did a set up that included matting the entire gym floor, setting up the stage, four recs (rectangular tables), 11 pieces of lattice and cramming 56 round tables with eight rather large chapel chairs around each table with five crew members. It was a feat of genius. ANYWAY. The set ups and tear downs and moves have been RIDICULOUS this weekend. I've worked eight hours every day for the past week. It makes for a wonderful paycheck, but I'm so bruised I look like a dalmatian.
The parents of all the freshmen are the worst on campus when it comes to driving, they don't follow the speed limit (there's something wrong when the campus safety officer is begging you to go faster) choosing to go five mph instead of the 15 mph we're allowed as they gape at the people working or the buildings or whatever it is that they're looking at. AND, they drive the wrong way in my parking lot. The sign says 'Right Turn Only'. Not, "please, go straight here so that you're headed the WRONG way along the dorm parking lot while you don't look where you're going because you're trying to get to the dorm so you're craning your neck to see the name and then WHOOPS!!! Almost ran over the CS crew on the Juice who have already been working for five hours in this triple digit weather!!!" Yes, it annoys me.
By now the parents have left (or were supposed to have left). And today is the day that the rest of the students come back. For some of them I'm really excited. For most of them I just wish they'd go away so I can park somewhere remotely close to my dorm. Sometimes I think it would be worth it to be an RA just to have my own parking spot.
Tomorrow the freshmen have all this stuff they have to do, and those students who didn't arrive yesterday will get here to find the parking lot so full they can't back up to unload their stuff, their roommate here and only a third instead of half of their room to shove all their stuff into. I also have to work tomorrow morning all by myself again. It shouldn't be too big a deal, it just means that I have to be everywhere at once which is never fun.
Classes start on Tuesday. SUPER excited!!!! REALLY nervous - this is my senior year. I just can't get over that. This is my senior year. I am a senior in college. I have two semesters left and then I'm done. With college. I am on my way to being a college graduate. Its weird.
All of which to say that I'm back in Redding getting ready to start classes and that the posting will happen with some amount of regularity again. Just so you know.
The trivia could come back...it depends on who cares to answer.
I'm looking forward to updating you all on my life as I attend classes and work this fall, on my second to last semester. (Again, WEIRD.)
LOVE YOU!!!
Skippy

1 comment:

Lesa said...

I can't believe you're a senior!! :) Enjoy it--because the real world is fast approaching, and it's quite an adventure! :)