Sunday, August 24, 2008

Church Sunday Morning

So much to say!!! I know for me this isn't that new of a concept, but still.
I went to church today by myself. I went to Little Country which isn’t little its huge, perfect for disappearing into. Walked in and sat down just as the worship leader was starting the first song. Sat in the back, surrounded by people I didn't know. You know those song services that are so great it doesn't matter if the Pastor didn't preach at all, you'd still walk away with tons of new stuff to think about? This was one of them. We sang 'Your Grace is Enough' which reminded me that I don't need a guy or my best friend right here or those I love physically near to me to be okay or fulfilled. HIS grace IS enough for me; I just have to accept that. Then we sang 'I am a Friend of God'. Really - how cool is that? Creator of the universe, and He has called me friend!!!??!!And not just friend, His daughter, His beloved, one He died for. Mind boggling. Then we sang a song I'd never heard before called 'Made Me Glad'. The chorus is: "And I'll say of the Lord, You are my shield, my strength, my portion, deliverer. My shelter, strong tower. My very present help in time of need." Again - God is enough. And not only is He enough because He's God, He's enough because He is all those things. He is my strength - which means I don't have to do it by myself!! He's my help in time of need (most of my life, I know) and not only that but He's my VERY PRESENT help - He's not off in some far away land. Next came 'What Joy Is Found', another new song for me. The chorus goes: Singing oh how lovely is the King in all His glory. And the Christ who is Holy. Who was, and who is. And how amazing is His love so unfailing. And His grace that draws us near." I watched One Night With the King last night, it does a really good job of showing the splendor of the King. And the first time I read the line 'the King in all His glory' I started seeing all of that glory from the movie multiplied by like a gazillion with a Holy Christ in the middle of it. Again, mind boggling. We also sang a song containing the phrase "I am here to seek only Your face" and it reminded me of why I went to Little Country in the first place. To be able to seek His face without the extra crap of people and activities and tasks. Without having to dodge the pleas for involvement and money and ‘finding a church home’ etc. And it worked.
The pastor spoke on Jeremiah and the temple. The talk of the temple reminded me of a part in the movie last night where Mordecai is talking to one of the Jewish merchants who had come to Susa from Jerusalem and Mordecai is asking about the temple. The man says "What ecstasy to stand in the presence of the Almighty. Like the intimate embrace of a husband and wife. It is so much deeper than mere mortal love." Its that feeling when we're singing and the words are speaking into my heart and I no longer worry about what's going on around me or what I'm doing later or how I'm going to get the work done or what’s going on with my family. Pure focus on the greatness of God. Mind boggling is the word of the day.

No comments: