Saturday, December 30, 2006

The long awaited revealing…

Okay, so it may not have been that long awaited, but at least one person has asked me what my Christmas pet peeve is, and so now I’m going to share. I know that its past Christmas and that you are all getting ready for the New Year, but I KNOW that you all remember Christmas carols, and if you’re still listening to them, listen for this and you’ll hear it.

My BIGGEST Christmas pet peeve is that songwriters and poets alike all use the phrase ‘born in a manger’. Does anyone else see a problem with that? The Bible does not say that Christ was ‘born in a manger’, it says that he was laid in a manger. Christ was BORN in a stable, and LAID in a manger. One simple word!!!! Why can’t people get it right? You can’t use syllables as an excuse either because ‘born’ and ‘laid’ are each only one syllable and ‘stable’ and ‘manger’ are each two syllables. The only possible (decent) argument would be the need for rhyming. However, I cannot remember one song in which the word ‘born’ or ‘manger’ was used in the rhyming scheme itself; and even if it was! Substitute out the other word, and you’re fine!!!

So, there you have my biggest Christmas pet peeve. In other news, I only have one more week at home before its back to classes, back to work, and back to the insanity that is my semester. My load is slightly less on the school side, and slightly more on the work side this semester, so we’ll see what that turns into.

Family is all good for the most part. Christmas went well and we managed to survive the ‘day after Christmas’ sales. I’m starting to realize how truly messed up life is though, and that’s quite a bummer.

Love to all,

Skippy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lol, I must agree with the pet peeve...I didnt realize, untill I joined my little brother in his sunday school class....that most little kids take it all literally, and while I'm sure the songwriters didnt mean it quite that way....the 5-year-olds are proclaming to the world that Jesus was born in a manger.....of course....even "laid in a manger" isnt gonna help the teacher when the kids ask......"teacher, how did the baby get in Mary's tummy?"

I hope the rest of your vacation goes well....I am praying for you...and am excited for school to start again--which is a strange thing to be saying.