Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Chocolate...

For the past seven years of my life that has been a word I hated. When I could eat it chocolate was the greatest thing on the planet - especially when combined with peanut butter. And then I couldn't eat it anymore...and it became worse than a swear word or lemon juice in a paper cut. When we discovered I was allergy to sugar and I was told to cut it out, I did it. No more chocolate, or cookies or cake or soda or fruit juice or fruit or spaghetti sauce a zillion other things, including splenda. Most days when I see 'sugar free' chocolate it just has splenda in it. This chocolate doesn't.
I was just about to start a big blab about how this chocolate that doesn't have sugar in it and that I can finally eat and won't kill me. Then I looked up the first ingredient - maltitol. A sugar alcohol. According to Wikipedia maltitol has 90% of the sweetness of sugar and all the same properties. What was I thinking?
It was SO good! I saw it and left it, and then we came back and I got it. And then we walked some more and then when we were waiting for the bus I ate some - and didn't die, didn't even get a headache. And then when we got back to the house I ate some more - and I'm still not dead. I'm probably two and a half inches into probably a nine inch bar. I'm not dead yet, I can't even really feel it. I'm just tired. Jesse pointed out that all the walking today (all over three coastal cities) probably helped work it through my system. It melted in my mouth. I could feel it melt and then spread all over my tongue. It was glorious. And now its gone. Only I still have six inches of chocolate sitting in front of me.
Sometimes, its better never to try something than to try it and like it and lose it. Whoever said 'it is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at' probably never loved anyone. And probably was never told she couldn't eat chocolate ever again.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

So I fully admit that you know better than I do about this situation, but I felt like leaving a few thoughts.

1. I'm glad you feel well. Tired, but well.
2. I'm proud of you for trying something new, even if you wish you didn't.
3. Your next five weeks are about stepping out and seeing what it's like. Some things will be crappy, I fully admit that. But others will give you experiences that you will treasure for a lifetime. So keep trying things and keep being the astoundingly adventurous and inspiring woman that I know you to be!! :) LOVE YOU!

Jocelyn said...

Okay wait. You ate 2.5 inches of a chocolate bar and didn't even get a headache? Where's the bad? Could it be that you are tired because you walked all day long? Maybe I missed something but this sounds like a good thing to me.